Photocred: Paolo Nicolello:
1. Begin by creating a safe, inviting, healing space for yourself. Dim the lights and light a few candles. If you would like to, you can also light your favorite incense or diffuse an aromatherapy blend. (I personally enjoy a combination of sage and palo Santo)
2. Sit yourself tall on a pillow or on the floor, or even a chair, if that's what is most comfortable for you, and tune into your breath, relaxing both your mind and body.
3. Once you feel you have reached an open and receptive state of mind, bring forth (visualize/imagine) the person or life experience you are struggling with. Allow yourself to calmly explore your thoughts and feelings towards this person or situation, whatever they may be. This process can take a few minutes, or a few hours, depending on your needs. allow for whatever amount of time you need.
4. As you allow space for and fully acknowledge your relationship to this person or event, notice the burden of the emotional pain lifting. Allow your difficult emotions of anger, sadness, betrayal or loss may be replaced by compassion and forgiveness. Sometimes this experience is bittersweet, in that you never truly find you understand why the relationship or event had to occur the way it did, but you still manage to accept that it simply is the way it is. This experience should ground you and reconnect you with your own center.
5. After you have cleansed your mind and body in this way, try to remain still and silent for a few more moments before blowing out the candles and incense and standing up to start the rest of your day.